Garage Door Installations
New garage door installations can be done on existing or new garages. Sometimes garage door repairs are not worth it in terms of cost-effectiveness and longevity and the best option is installing a new door. We provide a professional service to supply and fit new garage doors. We can also supply and install a garage motor if needs be.
Our garage door installations cover:
- Single and double garage doors
- Steel garage doors and wooden garage doors
- Roller doors (roller shutter doors / roll up doors) as well as sectional doors
- Standard or custom door sizes
- Is your wooden garage door rotting?
- Do you have a garage door that looks old, worn and ugly?
- Is the hardware in a bad condition?
- Do you want a beautiful new garage door?
Then this is where you need to be.
Steel garage door installations
There are various advantages to installing a steel garage door. These include:
- Steel is very durable when compared to many other materials e.g. wood.
- Steel doors do not require much maintenance.
- Nowadays the steel is surprisingly rust-proof. You don’t need to worry about a new steel garage door corroding or becoming noisy and difficult to open. Steel doors are a practical option.
- These doors are available in a number of types and colours.
- Steel doors are generally somewhat cheaper than, for example, wooden doors.
When considering steel garage doors, these can be either roller doors (a solid sheet of metal that rolls up into a cylinder) or sectional doors (a series of steel panels that move up and along the garage ceiling).The steel sectional garage doors
have two designs: block-patterned or slatted:
Block-pattern double steel sectional garage door
Slatted double steel sectional garage door
Colours that are available include dark brown, white or grey:
Steel sectional door colours
Sectional steel door colours – block pattern
Steel sectional door colours – slatted pattern
Single or Double Garage Roller Door:
Wooden garage door installations
Wooden garage doors are sectional garage doors. There are also tip-up wooden garage doors but these are no longer manufactured. Furthermore, parts for the latter are difficult and expensive to obtain.Wooden garage doors are also available in various designs: panels or slatted. The sizes of the panels or slats can vary as seen in the picture below:
The look of wooden garage doors can also be enhanced by adding studs.
There are numerous types of studs available.
The downside of wooden garage doors is that they need a great deal of maintenance (which is an added cost over the years). Over time, the panels can warp, the wood rot and they need regular attention.Wooden garage doors should not be varnished. In fact, a new wooden garage door will lose its guarantee from the manufacturer the moment it is varnished. If your door is already varnished, then, for maintenance purposes, you should varnish it annually. If it is not varnished, it needs to be oiled on a regular basis.
Garage door hardware
Installing a new garage door also means you will get a complete set of new garage door hardware.
This includes the necessary parts such as:
When measuring for the size of garage door opening, the amount of headroom is vital to determine the type of hardware required as well as whether the door should be standard size or a custom size. The headroom measurement is the taken from the underside of the lintel of the door opening to the lowest overhead restriction that will be in the way of the door as it moves (for example, a beam or the ceiling, light-fitting, pipe etc.)Garage door safety: safety cables
When a garage door spring breaks, it can be extremely dangerous and injure people or damage property that is in the way. One way of preventing these accidents is to install safety cables. These prevent a broken spring from swinging around wildly. They are similar to normal garage door cables, but tend to weigh less. These cables are attached to the wall or the track nearby the stationary pulleys. They then lace through the garage door springs and are attached to the same support as the spring.
What about my current garage door motor?
We will reconnect your garage door motor as part of our installation service. We can also provide you with a new garage door motor
should you require.
What happens to my old garage door?
Part of our garage door installation service includes uninstalling your old door (if there was one) and removing it. The door and all of the old garage door hardware cannot be reused and is scrapped.
Why should I let the experts handle my garage door installation?
Garage door installation is a process that is best carried out by the professionals. Reasons for this include:
- Garage doors are large and very heavy. They need to be handled by at least two experts who are experienced garage door installers. Undertaking the task by yourself or by using untrained labour can result in serious injuries and possibly damage to the garage door.
- When installing a garage door, one is working with parts that can be very dangerous. A good example of this is the garage door springs – which are known to have caused a number of deaths whilst being handled during an installation job. This is not because of any issue with the spring, but because the people handling them are not trained.
- The garage doors that we install and the workmanship are guaranteed, which means you can have peace-of-mind once your door is installed.
- To install a garage door you need to have specialized tools that even most handymen don’t have. Why purchase equipment for a once-off job?
- And, why spend your valuable time on installing a new garage door?
How do I maintain my new garage door?
Garage doors are a significant investment. A high quality garage door that is well-maintained should last at least 10 years. To keep it in peak operational form, there are a couple of simple measures that you can take:
Will you be able to re-install a garage door that I already have?
- Clean the garage door properly once or twice a year. Use a soft brush and a cleaning solution that is not too harsh. Wet the entire outside surface, apply cleaner, use the brush to distribute it over the entire area. Then wash it off entirely. This removes pollutants and also improves the garage door’s appearance.
- Check the garage door hardware every couple of months or so for damage or signs of wear and tear. Contact us immediately if you have any concerns.
- Arrange for regular maintenance checks and garage door services.
- If your garage door is automated, place an object such as a block of wood in the door’s way, engage the motor and check that the door reverses its motion when it makes contact with the obstruction.
Unfortunately we do not provide this service. The main reason is that we do not know the condition of the door and will not be able to provide our usual guarantee on the work done.Estimate pricing for new doors:Double steel sectional R11,000 Double wooden sectional R13,500. Single steel sectional R7,750 Single wooden sectional R8,750. All sectional doors installed complete with wooden pine jambs. Free removal of old doors.
Or, single steel roller door R5,500.
Our garage door installation services
We can assist you over a large area of Johannesburg with garage door installations.
Look at our service area list
for more information on where we can assist with your garage door installations and repairs or give us a call.Watch videos of some of our new door installations