Garage door maintenance is of the utmost importance. Why? Your garage door is one of the most hard-working parts of your home, in fact, the average garage door will move up and down over one thousand times a year. It needs to be maintained to provide good security and convenience on an ongoing basis.A garage door that is not maintained can become very noisy, but, more than that, it can be a significant risk for you and other household members. The doors are heavy, the springs, cables and other parts can become worn or break. If they break, it can be exceptionally dangerous or damaging to people and objects in the way.Here are some of the most important points for garage door maintenance:
Garage door maintenance: Inspection of Hardware
- Because a garage door is moving regularly, the nuts and bolts and other hardware can loosen over time. Because of this, all of the parts need to be checked and tightened if necessary.
- The garage rollers can become extremely worn and may need to be replaced.
- Ensure that none of the cables are fraying or look worn.
- Springs that are badly corroded need to be replaced. A breaking spring can be very dangerous; therefore this work must be carried out by a trained professional.
- Check the weather seal for wear and tear.
- Lubricating the springs will limit corrosion.
Maintaining a Safe Door
A garage door needs to be balanced properly. If it is not balanced it could crush someone; furthermore, it means that your garage door opener will need to work harder and this will reduce the life of the motor.To test the door balance you need to disengage the door opener and then pull the door down to about halfway. When the door is properly balanced, it will stay in that position. If the door slides back up, there is too much tension in the springs. If it moves downwards, the spring tension needs to be increased. Adjusting the tension of the springs is dangerous and must only be done by a professional garage door technician.Check the auto reverse feature of your garage door motor. Place an item under the open door and in line with the motor. Press the remote to close the door. The door should come to a stop and reverse without damaging the item.Ensure you have safety cables to prevent damage or injury if a spring breaks.Learn how to check if your garage door needs a service